Howdy! My name is Devon, and I write code. Most of the time when I’m writing code people pay me to do it, but sometimes I write code just for fun! When I’m writing code for fun, I like contributing to Scenic, Credo, Benchee, and I’m one of the maintainers of the Elixir track on exercism.io. If you hadn’t guessed, open source is pretty important to me. You can see all my open source stuff on my GitHub profile.
I also do other things for fun, like spending time with my family, playing chess, and studying German. Well, to be honest, studying German isn’t really for fun, but mostly because I live in Germany, and speaking German is a really useful skill to have when you live in Germany. I’ve lived in Berlin since 2015, and before that I lived in California and New York (although never at the same time).
Occasionally I also get up in front of people to talk about things that are interesting to me. Here’s a partial list of some of the talks and workshops I’ve given:
- Refactoring Elixir: Lessons Learned From A Year on Exercism.io - ElixirConf.eu and Elixir Berlin 2017
- Make Your Life Easier with Shell Scripting and UNIX Tools - RailsConf 2017
- Putting the Fun Back In Functional - RubyDay 2016
- The Beginner’s Guide to Open Source - Newbie Remote Conf 2016
- The “New” Attributes API in Rails 5 - Fog City Ruby 2016
Want to get in touch with me? I’d love that! The best way to reach me is on twitter at @devoncestes, and I occasionally respond to emails at
devon.c.estes AT gmail DOT com.